Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Day at Laura Vicuña

I started today by running with my sister early in the morning. She’s training for a marathon in August and I suppose I’ll do it too, or at least half of it. We passed a hotel advertisement that featured various icons representing the accommodations provided. I laughed because one was the symbol for restrooms but my sister pointed out you can’t take that particular accommodation for granted here.
After church, the sisters asked my father if he could drive a group of students to Zavora Beach as the regular driver wasn’t available. Both my dad and I had gotten international drivers licenses before we came to Mozambique in order to make ourselves more useful at the mission, so he was more than happy to drive us down in the back of a gigantic pickup truck. It was a wonderful way to pass the day. Mozambique has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and as it isn’t tourist season, we had miles of beach to ourselves save a few local fishermen. We ate lunch on the beach and then had another meal in the back of the truck on the way back. The ride was incredibly bumpy and I was sure some of the rice would spill or the Sister was going to impale someone with the sharp knife she was using to cut bread, but somehow we all enjoyed a meal together as naturally as when we had eaten on the beach.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're having fun and got to Mozambique safely!

    ReplyDelete